Friday, September 11, 2026

Privacy Online and Offline

Technology about Flock cameras shows how our daily moments can be recorded, stored,
and tracked without us always realizing it. 

 After watching the videos by Juan Enriquez and Catherine Crump, I realized how much of our personal information is collected and stored without us always being aware of it. Both speakers discussed different ways that privacy can be affected in today's world, whether online or offline.

Juan Enriquez

These issues affect me, my friends, and my family, because so much of our daily lives leaves behind digital records. 

Juan Enriquez compared our online presence to a digital tattoo, explaining that our faces and information can live on the internet long after we post them. This made me think about how everything we share online can become a permanent part of our digital identity. 

Catherine Crump
Catherine Crump discussed how driving a car can also create records of our movements. She explained that automatic license plate readers are used throughout the United States and even in the United Kingdom to capture images of passing vehicles. Police departments often store this information, creating records of where people travel and how they go about their daily lives.

I believe the government should be more careful about how personal information is collected and stored. Crump pointed out that records are often kept even when people are not suspected of any wrongdoing. If governments are gathering information about citizens, there should be clear limits on how that information is used and how long it is kept.

To protect ourselves from invasions of privacy, we can be more aware of the information we share. Enriquez's idea of a digital tattoo reminds us to think carefully before posting online because those posts can follow us for a long time. We can also stay informed about the technologies that collect data about us so that we better understand how our information is being tracked. Overall, these videos showed that privacy is becoming increasingly important as technology continues to expand into everyday life.

AI Disclosures: : This post was collaborated with using Microsoft Copilot. I took detailed notes while watching a two six minute Ted Talks about how our digital footprint is being tracked in ways we may not even realize.. In addition to the facts I learned, emphasized my own reactions and opinions while watching. I then asked Copilot to help me improve the text by correcting grammar, spelling, and punctuation. I asked Copilot to help me shape the text into a blog post format. After reviewing the text, I added links to related resources and appropriate images and captions.  


No comments:

Post a Comment