Monday, September 7, 2026

Eight Values of Free Expression

Protesters gather outside the White House, holding signs calling for justice, 
peace, and an end to war. 


The eight values of free expression help explain why the First Amendment protects freedom of speech and freedom of the press. If I had to pick one value that drives why I want to be a journalist, it's this: the press exists to hold power accountable.

Legal scholar Vincent Blasi calls this the "checking function" of the First Amendment. The idea that freedom of the press isn't just about letting people speak their minds. It's about giving citizens the information they need to catch government abuse before it goes unchecked. Watergate. Iran-Contra. Every scandal that ends in "-gate." 

None of those stories break because officials came forward on their own. They break because reporters asked hard questions, followed the paper trail, and refused to let power operate in the dark.

That's the role I want to play. Not as an outsider criticizing the government for the sake of it, but as part of a system, the press, alongside voters, that keeps power honest. When journalists expose abuse, they're not just breaking news. They're handing citizens the information they need to act, whether that's showing up to a city council meeting or casting a vote that removes someone from office.

Checks and balances help prevent any one 
branch of government from becoming too 
powerful. 

The value of "Check on Governmental Power" is personally important to me because I want a career in journalism. I believe journalists have a responsibility to inform the public and hold leaders accountable for their actions. Even as a college student, I can use reporting to investigate issues affecting my campus and community. In the future, I hope to use journalism to expose problems, promote transparency, and provide citizens with the information they need to make informed decisions.

I see the watchdog role in action whenever reporters investigate powerful institutions and share information with the public. Whether covering national politics or issues on our college campus, journalists help keep leaders accountable by asking difficult questions and reporting facts that citizens need to know. This watchdog function is one of the reasons freedom of the press is so important in a democracy.

when misinformation drowns out facts in the marketplace 
of ideas. 
Additionally, I think it's important to recognize that the Marketplace of Ideas is essential because journalism helps society discover truth through the free exchange of information and viewpoints, By reporting facts and encouraging public debate, journalist help people make informed decisions about important issues. 

Additionally I think it's important because Journalism is about gathering information and helping society discover the truth.

Reuter's fact-checking of viral claims about the 2024 presidential debate demonstrates the Marketplace of Ideas in action. Journalist investigated publicly shared information, verified the facts, and provided evidence-based reporting. This allowed citizens to evaluate competing claims and make informed decisions, showing how journalism helps society discover truth through free exchange of ideas and information. 

Ultimately, journalism serves more than just the purpose of reporting news. Through its watchdog role journalist investigate those in power and provide citizens with information they need to hold leaders accountable. 

Through marketplace of ideas, journalism creates a space where different viewpoints can be shared, debated, and evaluated. These functions help people become better informed and more engaged in society.

In a world filled with both information and misinformation, strong journalism is critical to helping citizens discover the truth and participate in democracy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment